Newtown AFC v Druids Match Report

An emphatic win for The Robins yesterday and a match to forget for Druids who weren’t at it on the night and were outclassed by our opposition. It ended Newtown 5 Druids 0.

The match kicked off on a clear night at Latham Park under the lights. Both teams were battling well to get a hold of the game and it was quite even for the opening 10 minutes. However, soon after, a mistake in midfield gifted the ball to Newtown winger Lifumpa Mwandwe who drive through our defence and finished into the bottom corner. A tough early blow for Druids and after that point, heads seemed to drop and Newtown began dominating the game.

Less than 5 minutes later Mwandwe scored again, heading in a near post cross and then on 30 minutes, ex-Druid James Davies met a low cross at the far post and converted to make it 3-0.

A tough half for Druids who were finding it difficult to deal with the qualities and pressure from our opposition. Changes were made at the interval as Joe Faux and Stef Edwards were introduced with Derrick Amankwaah coming on in the 57th minute due to an injury to Niall Flint.

A slight improvement in the second half as Druids, playing for pride at this point, pressed high up the pitch in search of a goal. Newtown were finding it more difficult to get the ball down and play their football with more pressure being applied all over the pitch.

Not much else to report for the first 30 minutes of the second half as neither side were able to get the goal they were after. However, on 75 minutes, a Newtown corner to the far post was headed in by centre half Kieran Mills-Evans to make it 4. Then just before full time, The Robins got one more to rub salt in the wounds.

A tough day at the office for Druids, but after only 4 league games, there is no time to despair, as there is still a long way to go. The only way we will improve is by sticking together and even just one positive result can get us right back in the mix. With some deadline day signings to announce and the likes of Phil Mooney and Yalany Baio edging closer to their return, there are still positive signs.

A break from the league now as we welcome Holyhead Hotspur to The Rock on Saturday for the second round of the Welsh Cup. We look forward to seeing our fans down there to support the team.

We keep going!

More than just a football club.