Match Report: Penrhyncoch FC vs Druids

A brilliant and clinical performance by Druids yesterday as we won 5-2 away at Penrhyncoch FC. Goals from Adam Stephens, Danny Edwards and Josh Lock.

After no games for almost three weeks, Druids hit the road to Aberystwyth following the Christmas break to take on Penrhyncoch FC. With the extended time off for the lads, it was important we didn’t show any rustiness and started the game on the front foot to keep our fine form going.

It was a miserable, rainy day at Cae Baker, but credit to the lads who after the long journey made an excellent start to the game. We were all on the front foot and almost went ahead on 3 minutes, if it wasn’t for defender Cledan Davies who headed a goal bound effort off the line to keep The Roosters in it.

Both sides were battling in the wet conditions at Cae Baker. But the lads dug in and got their reward on 21 minutes. A defensive mistake from the opposition was pounced upon by Adam Stephens who found the net to put us 1-0 up! Then minutes later, we had another when Danny Edwards fired in a powerful strike from range. A brilliant flurry from Druids to take control of the game. The rain was really coming down at this point and the challenges began flying in. Both sides were shown a few yellow cards after a tussle in midfield.

On 38 minutes we took a commanding lead after Adam Stephens got his second after finishing off a fine counter attack by Druids. It was brilliant to watch from the lads who were playing some slick football in very tough conditions. We went into the break 3-0 up after an outstanding first half.

However, moments after the restart, the home side got back into it when Dan Owen finished off a low cross from close range to make it 3-1. More drama followed as Penrhyncoch captain Owain James was shown a second yellow card after bringing down a Druids player on halfway. We took advantage of the extra man and added a fourth when Danny Edwards again finished off a swift Druids counter attack.

Despite the man down, The Roosters continued to fight and got another back on 73 minutes after Josh Shaw found the net when a freekick deflected around our box. But Josh Lock put the nail in the coffin as he added a fifth for Druids shortly after, curling in a fine freekick from 25 yards.

The referee blew for full time in what was an excellent away performance from Druids. The lads dealt with the tough conditions as the rain really came down at Cae Baker, and still managed to play some excellent football with clinical finishing to match.

We’d like to thank Penrhyncoch for their hospitality and wish them the best for the remainder of the season. We are back in action on Monday the 2nd of January when we host Gresford Athletic at The Rock.

We keep going!