Match Report: Haverfordwest County AFC vs Cefn Druids

A disappointing afternoon for Druids yesterday who kept it level for the majority of the match, until a second half onslaught from The Bluebirds saw them convincingly take all 3 points.

Druids came into this match off a positive home performance against Aberystwyth Town the week before and took that confidence into our trip to south Wales. We stuck to the same starting 11 from last week and were looking to stay organised and work our way into the game. Liam Thomas was looking positive for Druids early on, driving at the opposition defence trying to make things happen. However, the home side were eager to take an early lead and were testing Michael Jones in the Druid’s goal. Bluebirds forward Jack Wilson had the best chance early on. A looping ball in the box fell to him yards from goal but his point-blank header smashed off the crossbar and away. A let off for Druids who still needed to settle down and get into the game.

Despite the Bluebird’s dominance early on, Druids did well to stay organised and prevent anymore big opportunities for our opponents in front of goal. We went into half time at 0-0, looking to put more pressure on our opponent’s goal second half.

The second period began; it was a wet, windy day on the grass at Bridge Meadow and both sides were battling to get the ball down and play. However, within 5 minutes, a sweeping move up the pitch from The Bluebirds led to a low cross into our area. Liam Buckley did well to slide in and clear it away, but another cross came back in and fell to Ben Fawcett who smashed it inside the near post to give the home side the lead.

A tough blow for Druids who had defended well to stay in the game so far. However, a brilliant response from the lads as minutes later Liam Thomas won the ball high up the pitch and drove towards goal, his low cross found its way through to Jelson Antonio who made no mistake, tapping it in to make it 1-1! His first goal for the club and a great response from the lads, who were right back in it!

Druids were playing with confidence now as we pushed for another goal, but The Bluebirds were equally up for the battle and did well to win a corner on around 55 minutes. It was cleared well by the Druids defence, but another ball came back in and found Jordan Davies at the far post who bundled it in to make it 2-1. Frustration again for Druids, but we didn’t give in and earned another big opportunity shortly after. Antonio did well to win the ball off the Bluebirds defence and played in Liam Thomas with one defender to beat. He did well to shift it onto his right foot and fire low into the corner, but the opposition keeper just got a hand to it and tipped it away.

The game sprung into life at this point with Haverfordwest back on the attack shortly after. Another ball into our box was cleared only as far as the edge of the area. Wilson struck it well first time and found the corner of the net to make it 3-1. From then on our opponents turned on the style and were ruthless in front of goal. Druids were unable to get back into it as our opponents got 3 more before fulltime. It finished 6-1 to Haverfordwest for a disappointing end to the match.

Druids did well to stay in the game for large periods and pose a threat up top when the opportunities came. However, our opponents grew in confidence after their second half goals and put druids to the sword in the end. Showing ruthlessness in front of goal.

However, we must move on quickly as we travel to Connah’s Quay Nomads on Tuesday night. Another tough fixture where the lads will be looking to make a positive response.

We keep going.