Match Report: Druids vs Mold Alexandra

A very tight game at The Rock yesterday, but the lads did just enough to earn a valuable three points, as it ended 2-1 Druids!

Druids were looking to get back to winning ways after a tough loss last weekend in the Welsh Cup. Manager Neil Ashton named a near unchanged side and the lads were determined to set things straight as we returned to the league.

Druids started the game well, having the lions share of possession, however Mold looked organised and continued to be a threat on the counter attack. It was quite an even match as each side were probing for an opener. Tom Reilly had an effort after a corner was cleared out to him, however it flashed just wide. Josh Roseberry-Beamond was also looking lively on the wing for Druids along with our front men, Adam and Callum Stephens. Mold created chances of their own in the first period, notably Daf Griffith who rose highest to meet a corner, but his header went just wide.

Joy for Druids as we broke the deadlock at around the half hour mark. Great play up the pitch led to a low cut back for Callum Stephens, who tapped it in from a few yards out!

We went into the break 1-0 up. A competitive first half, but Druids happy to have the upper hand. Still work to do in the second 45.

We kicked off again and it was Mold who started the better side. They were much more lively in the opening period, determined to get back into the game. Druids were trying to hang in there, but on 56 minutes, Mold found their equaliser. Steve Watkins did well to head in a corner to make it 1-1. Then moments later, it got worse for Druids as Mold were awarded a penalty after Ellis Hickey was brought down in our box. However Druids captain Michael Jones did brilliantly to save the penalty and keep it all square!

This seemed to galvanise the squad as we began taking control of the game and threatening Mold’s goal. We got our reward on 75 minutes when Callum Stephens was fouled in the box and the referee pointed to the spot! Adam Stephens stepped up and calmly slotted it into the corner to make it 2-1!

Mold threw everything at us for the remaining 15 minutes, pinning us back. But brilliant defending from the Druids lads as we held on and cleared a big chance off the line right at the end! The referee eventually blew for fulltime. A massive 3 points for Druids!

Credit to Mold who really had us on the back foot for periods of the match and forced us to dig deep. A great reaction from the Druids lads after last week’s defeat. The win puts us on 25 points, only 6 behind 2nd place Llandudno.

We return to action next Saturday with a trip away to Chirk A.A.A FC.

We keep going!