Match Report: Druids vs Llanelli Town AFC

Druids bow out of the Welsh Cup in dramatic fashion at The Rock. An early red card for The Ancients and a late comeback by Llanelli, saw it end 4-3 to the visitors.

Before the match, a minute’s silence was held in honour of our long-term stadium announcer Ian Reece who recently passed away after a battle with cancer. Our thoughts and condolences remain with his family and friends at this sad time. He will be sorely missed at The Rock.

The match kicked off and the action began straight away! Josh Rosberry-Beamond cut inside from the right wing on 16 minutes and curled one into the far corner to give us the early lead! The perfect start for Druids. However, minutes later, defender Phil Mooney was shown a straight red card after the referee deemed him to have lunged in high on an opposition player, trying to win the ball. A big blow for Druids with a long time to play still, now with a man down. Somehow our play didn’t drop off and we got two more quick goals to go 3-0 up! Nick Grogan and Josh Lock were both on target for us to put Druids in control of the match. However, just before halftime, Llanelli pulled one back after winning a penalty, converted by Joe Hopkins.

We went into the break 3-1 up, but still a big task ahead of us as the lads were tiring, having to play with a man down. We were going to have to dig deep in the second period to hold onto our lead.

As expected, Llanelli came out for the second half with a lot of energy and belief that they could get back into it with the man advantage. Druids were putting their all into the game, however our defensive lines became deeper and deeper as our opponents dominated the ball and pushed us back. On 55 minutes, they made it 3-2 through Tim Parker. Worrying times now for Druids as Llanelli threw everything at us. The lads were doing brilliantly to hold them out as the clock ran down. It looked like we were going to do it, but on 84 minutes, a long ball into our box was flicked on and dropped kindly for Nathan Logan who found the net, to make it 3-3.

Only minutes remained before the match went directly to a penalty shootout. However, heartbreak right at the death for Druids. A set piece for Llanelli was whipped into our box, the ball fell for Taylor Marsh who fired it through a sea of bodies and it somehow squirmed under Jones, into the net, to see them steal the win 4-3.

An agonising way to end the match for Druids who put everything on the line to hold them out. It unfortunately wasn’t meant to be, as we exit the JD Welsh Cup. We’d like to thank Llanelli for the match and wish them the best in the next round and for the rest of the season.

We return to the JD Cyrmu North next Saturday at The Rock when we welcome Mold Alexandra.

We keep going!