Match Report: Druids vs Cardiff Met

A great day at The Rock as we earned our first win of the season, courtesy of two well taken penalties by Niall Flint.

It was a perfect, sunny day at The Rock on Saturday afternoon and the lads continued to show great desire and attitude right from kick-off. Our opponents were currently on a good run of form but Druids pressed and attacked them right from the off. Liam Thomas found the ball down the left wing and his deflected shot landed at the back stick for Charley Edge who’s header was just saved by the Met keeper. Then minutes later, more great work from Liam Thomas as he switched the ball to Liam Buckley who drove into the box. He was tripped by the Met defender as he tried to skip past him, and the referee awarded the penalty for Druids. A huge early chance for us to take the lead! Niall Flint stepped up and made no mistake, smashing it into the bottom right corner. 1-0 Druids before the 15 minute mark!

However, there was almost an immediate response from Met. A mistake at the back left forward Lewis Rees 1 on 1 with the Druids goal. But captain Michael Jones did very well to quickly get off his line and save the strike down low. Druids got back into the game and were playing with a lot of confidence, getting more shots off around the area. Then on 23 minutes, the pivotal moment of the match. A corner whipped in by Thomas was headed at goal by Nacho Torres. It was destined to go in until defender Joe Evans drastically palmed the ball away with his hand. It was clear to see for the referee and Druids were awarded another penalty and Evans received a straight red card. Niall Flint stepped up again and calmly slotted it into the other corner. We were now well in control of the game at 2-0 up against 10 men.

Met didn’t give up however and got one more chance before the half. Lewis Rees firing from just outside the area, but again Jones was equal to it in the Druids goal to maintain our 2 goal cushion. We went into halftime in good spirits, looking to continue our positive play in the second period.

The match kicked off again and it was clear The Students were throwing everything at us to try and get back into the game. Forward Eliot Evans came close with a strike just going wide of the far post. But for the most part, the Druids defence stayed solid and frustrated our opponents. Another great moment for our academy as 17 year old Eric Durnell come on for his Druids debut towards the end of the half. We had a total of 7 teenagers involved in a winning squad on the day which is testament to the fine work being done in our academy and EDS squads.

The referee blew for full time not long after in a fantastic 2-0 win for the lads at The Rock. After a very tough season so far, the lads played with plenty of confidence and belief and gave a great reward to the fans who came down to support them.

Our next match is another journey to south Wales as we face Barry Town on Saturday the 2nd April.

Come on you Druids!