Match Report: Druids vs Caernarfon Town FC

We returned to football under the lights at The Rock last night. An entertaining affair, but Caernarfon showing enough quality to get the win after Druids mounted a late comeback.

A much changed side for Druids after a multitude of absences. Charley Edge, Yalany Baio and Emmanuel Agyemang were all unavailable due to suspension. EDS graduates Kieran Smith and Peter Evans both came into the starting line up with new signing Liam Thomas going straight in on the right wing.

The match kicked off at a slower pace than expected. Druids holding their shape and working their way into it while Caernarfon were happy to play the ball along their back line and keep possession. However, it was Druids who created the first real chance. Winning the ball in midfield, we broke on our opponents down the right wing. Liam Thomas’ low cross was met by Tyler Garratt in the box with his strike just going over the bar. Encouraging signs as Druids showed they can be threatening on the counter.

Our opponents continued to enjoy the ball and slowly began building their way up the pitch. Forward Mike Hayes got a shot off in the box but comfortably saved by captain Michael Jones in the Druids goal. It looked to remain goalless going into the break however just before halftime, Caernarfon won a freekick just outside our box. Captain Dion Donohue stepped up and found the corner of the net to give our opponents a 1-0 lead.

Disappointment for Druids as we looked solid throughout the first half, limiting our opponents’ chances. Just being undone by a piece of quality from a set piece. A big second 45 was needed to get back into the game!

However, moments after the restart, a lapse in concentration in Druid’s midfield gifted Caernarfon the ball. Noah Edwards was played through in our box and his strike found the bottom corner putting our opponents 2-0 up. Druids were punished by our opponents for losing possession in midfield and they rubbed salt in the wounds 10 minutes later. Defender Bobby Beaumont rose highest from a Caernarfon corner, heading in to make it 3-0.

With our opponents effectively putting the game to bed, Druids continued to attack and push to try and get a goal back. Ben Wynne and Harry Farnsworth both getting shots off around the box, just wide of the post. Wynne was looking a threat on the wing and got good balls into the box as Druids were getting in better areas. We did eventually get one back on 74 minutes. Another ball in by Wynne was fumbled in the box by the Caernarfon defence and Phil Mooney pounced quickest to knock it in and make it 3-1.

Druids continued pushing and almost got a second 10 minutes later. Another ball into the Caernarfon box was scrambled towards goal and just cleared off the line before it rolled in. Druids continuing to put up a fight.

However, eventually our opponents held out for the win as it finished 3-1. Druids showed a good attitude to try and get back into it late on, but the Cofis stayed solid and got the three points they needed to continue their fight for a top 6 finish.

A big positive was having fans back in and we’d like to thank all the travelling support for making the trip to The Rock for a great evening of live football.

We now turn our attention to next Friday night when we make the trip to Aberystwyth Town for another important match!

More than just a football club.