A disappointing afternoon for Druids yesterday, who battled for periods but the quality of our opposition shone through, and they ran out 3-0 winners at The Rock.

More rotation for Druids as Phil Mooney, Ben Wynne and Pavel Vieira came back into the side as we looked for a reaction after last Friday’s defeat away at Caernarfon Town FC. The match kicked off and it was quite end to end for the opening minutes as both sides tried to get a hold of the ball. Our first chance came after 8 minutes when Emmanuel Agyemang (Aggy) controlled it well from a ball over the top, flicking it on for Jake Hampson to run in on goal, however the Penybont defender got his tackle in just as Hampson was about to pull the trigger to keep it at 0-0.

Our opponents broke the deadlock on 12 minutes. A corner whipped into the near post was flicked on ahead of the Druids defence for forward Lewis Harling to tap in. A wretched start for Druids who were now forced to stay disciplined and work our way back into the game. We were struggling to keep hold of the ball in the first half as Penybont pressed well and were composed in possession. Then on 30 minutes, they had their second. James Waite picked up the ball on the left-hand side, drove into the box and finished through a bunch of bodies to make it 2-0.

As the first half drew to a close, we made two more solid chances. Ben Wynne made a great run through the heart of the Penybont midfield, getting a cross off to Aggy at the far post, only for The Bont defence to clear just before he connected with the header. However, our best chance so far came on the stroke of halftime. A corner whipped to the back post found Phil Mooney unmarked in the 6-yard box, trying to sort his footing out as the ball was flying at some speed, his volley went inches wide to spare Penybont’s blushes and the score remained at 2-0 going into the break.

The second half began, and straight from the kick-off, the opposition all but finished off the game. A long ball evaded our midfield as Penybont worked it up the pitch and after a simple pass into the box, it was finished off by Waite for his second of the match to make it 3-0. Ryan Neild was forced into a fantastic save shortly after to deny Penybont captain Kane Owen, whose strike from the edge of the area was destined for the top corner.

Changes were made from Druids as Harry Farnsworth came on for his Druids debut along with Jose Ferreira. We tried to show some resilience as the match drew to a close and created our best chances of the game. Ben Wynne found Jake Hampson on the right wing who played a cross field ball back to Wynne on the edge of the box. He controlled it well with just the keeper to beat, but his shot was blocked well by the keeper’s outstretched leg to keep it at 3-0. Matters got worse as Hampson was shown a second yellow card for a late challenge and we were forced to finish the game with 10 men.

Full time followed not long after for a disappointing afternoon at The Rock for Druids. However, we have a break from the league as we travel to Aberystwyth Town next Saturday for round 3 of the Welsh Cup, which should be an exciting tie!

More than just a football club.