Match Report: Druids v Haverfordwest County AFC

A disappointing result for Druids yesterday at The Rock. Two quick fire goals in the first half was enough for Haverfordwest County to take home all 3 points.

Druids came into this match determined to carry on from recent positive performances and earn a result against another bottom six side. The match kicked off and Druids were happy to maintain their discipline and shape as our opponents played the ball around their backline. The Bluebirds had the majority of possession in the opening period but as of yet, couldn’t break down a resolute Druids defence.

After 10 minutes or so, Haverfordwest County began to create a few chances from range but weren’t troubling Michael Jones in the Druids goal. However, on 15 minutes they got the breakthrough they were looking for. A free kick on the right wing was whipped in towards our six-yard box. The low ball somehow evaded the majority of the Druids and County players with striker Touray Sisay lurking towards the far post to tap it in.

A disappointing goal for Druids to concede so early, as they were working their way into the game. The uphill battle worsened minutes later, as the Bluebirds got a second to take control of the game. The ball fell to forward Jack Wilson on the edge of our box. He shifted it onto his right foot and smashed an effort into the top corner with little Jones could do in the Druids goal. Now two goals down within 20 minutes, Druids had a big challenge on their hands to get back into the game.

However, as the first half progressed, we began to build some confidence and create some decent chances. Liam Buckley and Liam Thomas were looking threatening on the wings, trying to get good crosses into the box. Just before half time, Niall Flint picked up the ball on the edge of the area with space, his shot was saved well by the visiting keeper and Flint was unfortunate not to steer the rebound in. The referee called for halftime not long after, but positive signs for Druids which they needed to continue in the second period.

We kicked off again and both sides battled straight away to take control of the game. Touray Sisay was proving a challenge for the Druids backline as he had another chance come off the post, keeping it at 2-0. Druids stayed in the game and kept their shape well as we searched for a goal back. In the 78th minute, midfielder Taylor Thain had a great chance with a shot on the edge of the area. It ricocheted through a few bodies and crashed back off the post. Agonisingly close for Druids to get back into it.

We continued pressing in search of a goal but just couldn’t apply that finishing touch to our positive play.

Eventually the referee blew for full time and The Bluebirds went home with the 3 points. A tough afternoon for Druids who were ultimately undone by two quickfire goals in the first half. We dust ourselves off and turn our focus to Phase 2 now. The full fixture list will be announced on our social media pages this week.

More than just a football club.