A tough result to take for Druids who dominated parts of the game but couldn’t put away their chances. A Barry Town penalty in the first half was enough for the home side to hold on for all 3 points.

An early start yesterday morning for Druids as we made the long trip south to Jenner Park for another big game. A few changes to our starting 11; with Niall Flint and Charley Edge suspended, Yalany Baio and Ben Wynne came into the midfield. New signing Tyler Garratt also started at centre half for his Druids and Cymru Premier debut.

A dry but cloudy day in South Wales, the match kicked off and both sides were immediately battling well to create chances. Barry got a few crosses into our area early on, aiming for their main goal scorer Kayne McLaggon, but nothing troubling the Druids defence so far. The match was pretty even for the opening period until the 15th minute mark when some miscommunication from Druids gifted the home side a penalty. Barry right back Aron Davies misplaced a pass towards our box but was able to follow it through and nick the ball before the closest Druids player could clear, and was brought down. McLaggon drove the penalty down the middle to put Barry 1-0 up. A gift from Druids as neither side had really taken control of the game until that point.

However, following the goal, the lads showed a great reaction. We enjoyed our best spell and took the game to our opponents. Our press from the front with Agy, Faux and Ben Wynne was working well as we began winning the ball higher up the pitch and creating chances. Mitchell Williams and Ben Wynne both got good strikes off around the area but just wide. Joe Faux and Agy were getting in behind the Barry defence and getting shots and crosses in, and you could sense that a goal was coming for Druids. Tyler Garratt also came close to giving us the lead on his debut with a low drive just inside the area, but Barry keeper Kelland Absalom was equal to it. However, our best chance of the game came not long before half time. A misplaced back pass by Barry was pounced upon by Agy leaving him one on one with the keeper. Ben Wynne was racing up to offer support but the ball just got away from Agy before he could get his shot off.

A tough break for Druids who had at least 4 or 5 decent chances in the first half but couldn’t convert, and went into the break trailing 1-0.

The second half was a much scrappier affair. Our opponents were happy to play more directly and pin us back in our half. Neither side were really able to create any clear cut chances. One positive note was Osian Williams coming on for Druids in the 67th minute. Another first team debut for an EDS player, again showing the pathway and opportunities that are there for our academy players.

We continued pushing for an equaliser heading into the final minutes and won a series of corners and freekicks around the Barry box, but were unable to convert. In the end the home side held onto their lead and grabbed all 3 points.

A tough blow for Druids who were on top in the first half but couldn’t convert the chances we created. However, another positive performance from the lads who are staying in the game and competing well. Our defence was solid throughout the match, just that final bit of quality is something we need to improve. Two weeks to practice and train ahead of our next league fixture at The Rock against Cardiff Met on the 4th December.

We keep going!

More than just a football club.