Match Report: Aberystwyth Town vs Druids

An impressive performance from Aber last night and disappointment again for Druids as the home side came away with a 5-0 victory.

Druids brought a depleted squad across to Aberystwyth due to several suspensions and injuries. However, there was a welcome return for Charley Edge, who came straight back into the starting 11 and Emmanuel Agyemang who made the bench. There was also a debut for midfielder Taylor Thain who joined us recently from Bangor City and 18 year old Fred Whiles, who got his first start after impressing for our EDS side.

It was a foggy evening by the seaside as the match kicked off, with the hosts started on the front foot, taking the game to Druids early. They created a great chance 6 minutes in when Steff Davies was played through down the side, one on one at goal, but Druids captain Michael Jones was alert and saved well to keep us in the game. However about 10 minutes later, Aber made no mistake with their next attempt. A loose ball around 25 yards out was struck first time by Harry Franklin. It was a great effort that flew over Jones and into the net, giving the home side the early lead.

Aber continued pushing in search of a second. But the Druids defence stayed solid. Our back 4 were putting their bodies on the line to block shots coming in and Michael Jones pulled off some more solid saves to keep it at 1-0. In our attacking half Charley Edge’s free kick went just over the bar as we tried to push up the pitch. However, just before half time, two lapses of concentration were pounced upon by the hosts to make it 3-0 and take control of the game. A low cross in was met first time by Jamie Veale which crept in the near post and shortly after, Harry Franklin got in behind the Druids defence and smashed another good effort into the corner.

The second half began, and more chances were created at both ends. Liam Buckley and Charley Edge both had efforts at goal that were blocked and just wide, while Aber were keeping Jones busy in the Druids goal. Matters got worse for Druids on 67 minutes as centre half Kieran Smith was shown a second yellow card after taking down ex Druid Sam Phillips on a counterattack, forcing us to finish the match with 10 men.

Aber took advantage of the extra man and Phillips went on to get two more against his former side as it finished 5-0 to the hosts.

Disappointment for Druids who were undone by an impressive performance from The Seasiders. We now look forward to a double header against our neighbours TNS, starting this Tuesday night at Park Hall.

More than just a football club.