Last night, Druids mounted a resilient second-half comeback to win 2-1 at Flint Town and grab a massive 3 points. It was definitely a game of two halves with our opponents on top for large spells in the first period, however Druids never gave in, stayed in the game and scored off 2 corners in the second half to turn the game around. The win sees us move 2 places up the table to 9th as both Newtown and Aberystwyth were beaten last night.

The first half began, and as expected Flint started very brightly. The players were eager to impress their new manager Neil Gibson, who was taking charge of his first game for the Silkmen. Within the first 5 minutes or so, our opponents had a series of shots at goal around our box that were dealt with well by Jones, but had Druids pinned in. Jones again came to the rescue on 15 minutes when a curling effort destined for the top corner was palmed away in a brilliant reaction save.

Druids were struggling to play our football on the grass at Cae-y-Castell, however started showing glimpses and began working our way up the pitch into better areas. As the first half progressed and the game became slightly more even, Flint struck. The ball falling to captain Richard Foulkes on the edge of the area and his low drive was deflected through a series of bodies past Jones to give our opponents a 1-0 lead. It was unfortunate timing as Druids were starting to look more threatening, however a loose ball around the box and a lapse in concentration allowed Foulkes a sight at goal and that’s usually all it takes at this level. There were a couple more half chances for both sides following the goal, however Druids went into the break disappointed as they were clearly second best that half and needed a quick reaction!

The Ancients started the second half much better, not allowing Flint to get in the areas around our box they were having in the first half and restricting crosses into our box. The game was much tighter and then on 50 minutes Druids won a corner down the left wing. Whipped in by Green, Alex Darlington rose highest to head the ball home for his 100th Cymru Premier goal to make it 1-1! A fantastic achievement that all the lads immediately got around in the celebrations. Well in Darlo and game on!

Just as Druids were getting on top after the goal, our hearts almost sank, as Flint came inches away with a low ball flashing across goal and their forwards somehow unable to turn it in. However, we pushed on and began dominating the game thereafter. Josh Green struck a great freekick which was saved well, Aziamale was looking threatening, driving at the Flint defence and he had the ball in the back of the net shortly after, only to be waved for offside. The momentum was with the Druids and then on 67 minutes, another corner whipped in by Green was bundled home by Iwan Cartwright to make it 2-1 and put us into the lead!

Flint now pushed with everything for an equaliser and were inches away again following another ball into the Druids area, but were unable to finish. Druids lucky there and still in the lead. Harry Brazel, Jonny Taylor and Tom Reilly entered the game in the closing stages with fresh legs to try and help see us through. The clock seemed to be going down extremely slowly as we waited and waited with freezing fingers and toes crossed. A few more great saves from Jones were enough to see the game out as the referee finally blew for full time!

A massive 3 points for Druids and 2 wins on the bounce! It was a great comeback from a team that looked like that were starting to gel well together, with everyone encouraging and working for one another on the pitch, on the bench and in the stands. The win puts us up two places and 4 points behind 8th with a game in hand. An outstanding team performance from the lads who now look forward to Saturday when we make the long trip south to Barry Town in another big game!

We keep going!

More than just a football club ⚫️⚪️