A poor night at the office for Druids saw us go down 5-0 to Flint Town in a crucial game that could have seen us move out of the bottom two.

Druids came into this game knowing how big a clash this was and coming off a hardworking win days before, had confidence we could get the job done at Flint Town. However, from the first whistle till the last, we were second best. Our opponents were dominant, more hungry and willing to win the ball, while also being ruthless in front of goal.

The match kicked off, and despite our opponent’s dominance on the ball, it was Druids who created the best chance in the opening period. Our first spell of possession in The Silkmen’s half led to a floated cross to the far post. Charley Edge rose well above his defender. His header looked to be going in at the near post only for a fine save by the Flint keeper to tip it away for a corner.

Following on, The Silkmen began to make use of their wingbacks, creating 2 v 1 situations down the sides and getting balls into our box. Their front two were also making clever runs in behind our defence which we struggled to cope with early on. It didn’t take long for their efforts to bear fruit. In the 9th minute a Flint cross following a tidy move down the right-hand side was met at the far post by Josh Amis. His cushioned volley back into the path of his team-mate was smashed in for their opener, giving our opponents the perfect start.

Not long after, Druids showed a good response and almost had an equaliser. We won a free kick down our right-hand side. Sam Phillips delivered a great ball into the box, which was flicked on by Alex Darlington onto the post, only for the referee to flag for offside. Despite those two chances, our opponents began attacking our goal with high intensity and just before the 20th minute mark, they had another. Rocky defending at the back for Druids saw Flint forward Connor Harwood pounce on a loose ball just outside our box. He drove at goal and slotted past Jones into the bottom corner to make it 2-0.

We held on for the remaining 25 minutes or so until the half, however Flint continued to attack our goal with little reply from the Druids. Ryan Kershaw and Jonny Taylor came on at half time for Naim Arsan and Ethan Cartwright in hopes of inspiring a response from the lads to get back into the game.

The second half began and neither side could really get a grip of it in the opening period. However, twenty minutes in, Flint put the game to bed with a third goal. A free kick into our box was headed away by the Druids defence into the path of Flint forward Josh Amis on the right-hand side of the box. His volley from a tight angle was struck well into the corner of the net, leaving Jones no chance and making it 3-0.

Flint were relentless and went on to get two more in the final period as Druids were simply unable to cope. It capped a fine performance from The Silkmen coupled by a poor performance from ourselves. The loss sees Flint move 5 points above us in the table as we remain bottom. The lads can feel really disappointed they didn’t turn up last night after such a good performance days earlier. Luckily, the games are coming thick and fast as we host Cardiff Met at The Rock this Saturday in another massive game. Time for a reaction!

More than just a football club.