Last night the 9 March, Druids played out an entertaining but heart-wrenching match against Newtown AFC at The Rock. Ultimately ending 4-2 to our opponents.

Both sides came into this game knowing what was on the line. Newtown had the opportunity to create somewhat of a gap between themselves and the bottom two, while Druids could have moved up two places, including above Newtown with a win. There were also a few players from either side playing against their former team which added some extra fire to the game as the players were eager to get one over on one another.

As expected, the match began at an extremely high pace and within 4 minutes Newtown had the lead. Winning the ball on halfway and driving forward, a Newtown cross was struck home by former Druid Jordan Evans to give the away side a 1-0 lead. Ten minutes later, it got worse, as a Newtown freekick was flicked on, into the bottom corner to make at 2-0, leaving Druids a mountain to climb after only 15 minutes. However, it was a hurdle we did overcome. Druids showed great character and in the 28th minute, a Josh Green cross found Niall Flint inside the box who turned well against his former side and finished under the keeper to make it 2-1, giving Druids some momentum! Less than 10 minutes later, we had another! Joe Faux picked the ball up on the right wing, beating his man and crossing to the far post for Charley Edge, whose header was tapped in again by Niall Flint to make it 2-2 and game on!

Just as the momentum had switched and it looked like we were going to go into half time at 2-2, Newtown grabbed another. Druids were unable to clear the ball as it came into our box and Jordan Evans again was in the right place as the ball fell to him and slotted it past Dave Szczepaniak in the Druids goal. Then just on the stroke of halftime, Newtown made it 4-2 as another ex-Druid, Tyrone Ofori made his way into our box. Druids unable to clear the danger as Ofori got his shot off which deflected into the net to add further frustration onto the Druids.

The second half was as expected. Newtown sat back and were happy to keep possession for as long as possible to see the game out. Druids brought on forwards Chris Aziamale and Sam Phillips in hopes of getting back into the game. We committed more bodies forward as we had nothing to lose at this point. However, it wasn’t meant to be as Newtown were organised defensively and saw the game out. Neither side were able to grab another goal in the second half and the match finished 4-2.

The loss leaves us bottom of the table, level on points with Flint Town. No one is more frustrated than us players and staff. However, there is no use throwing in the towel and luckily the games are coming so quick that there is little time to dwell on bad performances. We host third place Bala Town this Saturday in another important game.

We keep going!

More than just a football club