Last night, Druids played out a disappointing 2-1 home defeat to Caernarfon Town. It was clear our opponents were going to start with a high intensity looking to react from their 6-0 defeat to Penybont a few days earlier. Druids made chances and played some good football at times but was overall a night to forget for The Ancients.

The first half began, and Druids got the ball down and began trying to play their way up the pitch, however our opponents pressed well, winning the ball in good areas and getting crosses into the box. Druids were pinned back in the early stages, having to defend corners and crosses and Caernarfon flooded the box aiming to get a quick goal. However, our defence held firm, and we found ourselves in good areas with Jamie Reed crossing low after a fast counterattack, unable to pick out a Druids player. A loss for Druids on the 18th minute mark when Joe Faux rounded his defender only to pull up instantly with what is suspected a pulled hamstring. Druids were forced into an early change with Aziamale coming on.

Caernarfon kept applying the pressure on our defence and in the 30th minute winger Sion Bradley won the ball in the attacking half, driving towards goal and squaring it to forward Cai Jones for a simple tap in to break the deadlock.

Druids created some good chances following the goal, with Josh Green at close range forcing a solid stop from keeper Josh Tibbets. Naim Arsan got through on goal for his attempt to be smothered and Chris Aziamale with a clear sight on the 18 yard box which was also saved by Tibbetts. The same story seems to be repeating itself as Druids were unable to finish the chances we did create. However, Caernarfon were on top in the first half with their pressure and direct play which resulted in another goal on 39 minutes when a through ball to forward Mike Hayes left him 1 on 1 with Michael Jones. His first attempt was saved well down low by Jones, only for the rebound to fall straight to Hayes again to prod into the net.

Druids regrouped and were on top in the second half. A change in formation and the introductions of Cody Ruberto and Niall Flint got us playing in better areas higher up the pitch. A solid chance early on when Ruberto was unable to direct Cartwright’s cross, as the ball skimmed just passed the post. However, Caernarfon still looked dangerous on the break and had a few opportunities to put the game to bed, unable to convert. Druids found hope in the 70th minute, with a freekick whipped in by Charley Edge to the back post for Aaron Simpson to head home. Druids began piling on the pressure in search of an equaliser. Aziamale made a great dribble into the box for his effort to be blocked for a corner. Simpson headed a cross soon after only to hit the bar. Another ball into the box left a scramble with it falling kindly to defender Phil Mooney 5 yards out for his shot to be blocked again by a resolute Caernarfon defence.

Druids maintained the pressure with our opponents trying to run down the clock, however, it wasn’t meant to be as the referee blew for full time in what was an utterly disappointing night for the Druids.

Not the performance we’ve seen in recent weeks, but again our busy December continues. We welcome Haverfordwest to The Rock on Saturday after our narrow 1-1 draw with them a week earlier.

Come on you Druids!

More than just a football club ⚫️⚪️