Druids Futsal are currently competing in the FAW Futsal League North in an attempt to qualify for the UEFA Futsal Champions League for the second season in a row. We have a look at their most recent fixtures and what lies ahead.

On the 27th of February, Druids played round 12 of the league campaign against Luso Cymru Futsal. This was a must win game for Druids as they closed in on league leaders KS Hussars. The lads are known to play a high, aggressive press to force errors out of our opponents and win the ball back quickly. This was working well early on as Luso struggled to keep possession. In the 8th minute, Doherty showed great feet and a lovely left footed strike which rattled off the post and into the back of the net to break the deadlock. 1-0 Druids.

Luso were unable to handle our four zero rotation across the pitch which resulted in Taylor Thain finding gaps between the lines and grabbing 2 goals in quick succession. Not long after Doherty was back in the action ready to tap home at the back post from a threaded pass from Rogers. Two more goals were added before the halftime whistle coming from Rogers and Best.

Druids went into halftime 6-0 up and continued their fine, organised play in the second half to finish the match 16-2! A great result for the lads who went into next week’s game full of confidence.

Druids vs FC United of Wrexham

On the 6th March Druids played FC United of Wrexham needing only 1 point to qualify for the two-legged final against the Southern League winner. The winner of that final then qualifies for the UEFA Futsal Champions League.

So clearly a massive game for the lads who were prepared and eager to get a positive result. However, the match kicked off and both sides started sloppy. Giving away possession cheaply and allowing counter attacks for the opponents. Stewart Evans wasn’t happy in the Druids goal as what was in front of him wasn’t the same side that won their previous matches. 

Manager Richie Jones decided a time out was needed to settle the team and change tactics. The stoppage seemed to calm the Druids players and passes began to come together, attacks looked much more threatening and the Wrexham goalkeeper was having to make some good saves. The breakthrough came in the 8th minute scored by Rogers which was exactly what Druids needed. 

FC United of Wrexham sat in a low block and made it very difficult for Druids to them break down, doing everything they could to stay in the game. Eventually Druids did manage to score a 2nd, Doherty finding space between the 4 and putting the ball into the net. As half time approached Druids pushed for a 3rd, a set piece struck by Rogers got the faintest touch from Doherty to take it past the goalkeeper. Halftime comes and Druids are 3-0 up.

The second half began and Druid’s looked much more relaxed and confident, turning on the style. A great performance this half as we found the gaps and put FC United of Wrexham to the sword. It finished 12-1 Druids.

The lads have one more league match on the 20th March against PF Cymru before they play the two-legged final against the winners of the Southern League. Druids Futsal have been brilliant since their inception and will be targeting another UEFA Futsal Champions League campaign. We are looking forward to keeping an eye on their upcoming matches. For more updates on Druids Futsal stay tuned to their Twitter page @DruidsPf or Instagram page – druidsfutsal.

More than just a football club.