Druids EDS 0-0 Penycae

Another impressive and solid display from our EDS team in a very tight match against Penycae. Druids were again the better side but were unfortunate not to finish off the chances they created, it ended all square at The Rock.

It was Druid’s 6th game in the FAW Reserves League and they have started strongly with some very good results but more importantly the performances that they are producing have continually been positive. The game started in a good manner, both sides were at it and the pace was quick. First half Druids dominated the ball and created great opportunities but just couldn’t put them away. The energy that Druids had on and off the ball in the first half was very impressive and was backed up with an offside goal from Oscar Herd in the 21st minute. This didn’t stop Druids from playing and digging in, in the 25th minute from nowhere, a Penycae midfielder picked up the ball and had a shot from 30 yards which pulled a magnificent save from young keeper Cameron Dutton. The best move of the half came when Druids played out from the back, into Eric Durnell down the left who cut inside and layed the ball to Pete Evans who slid it down the channel for full back Freddie Whiles to get hold of and deliver a ball that went straight across the front of the goal and was begging for a touch. Druids finished the half strongly and went in at the break 0-0.

They come out and the intensity from both teams had dropped a little bit, but again Druids stayed on the ball and tried to create more positive situations. First team centre back Phill Mooney played to gain minutes and he was superb with the young lads, offering valuable leadership on and off the pitch on the night. In the 68th minute Druids won a corner which was put into the back post for Mooney to head but went just wide. The game became open as both teams were pushing for the winner, Osian Williams found himself in space on the edge of the 18 yard box with the ball at his feet, his shot again forced a good save from the Penycae keeper. Straight after the corner Penycae broke up the pitch and got a shot off which took a deflection off defender Freddie Whiles which lead to a Cae corner. This was Penycae’s best chance in the 2nd half with them heading just wide of the post. In the final 3 minutes Druids won a free kick on the right hand side where Dean Clarke stood up to take it and delivered a brilliant ball across the 6 yard box which a Druid player got on the end of and put just narrowly wide. It was a entertaining and tight game to watch, played in good spirit by both teams.

EDS manager Jordan Hadaway spoke after the match, “I was pleased with the performance, there are parts we need to work on which we know, but overall we kept a clean sheet and created some good goal scoring opportunities in the opposition box, we now go to Bala now on Sunday which will be another good test for the lads. You cannot fault the work ethic all the lads are putting in training and matchdays, its 100% from everyone of them.”

More than just a football club