Druids 2-1 Haverfordwest Match Report

Druids kicked off Phase 2 with a big 2-1 win at The Rock courtesy of goals from Niall Flint and Charley Edge, putting us one win away from escaping the bottom two!

We went into this game with a good record against the Bluebirds with a 1-1 draw away at Bridge Meadow and an emphatic 4-1 win at The Rock earlier in the season. We were looking to start Phase 2 on a positive note and make the most out of these final 10 games. Haverfordwest were unfortunate not to finish in the top 6, but we’re aiming to maintain their gap in 7th and secure a play-off place.

The match began and the Bluebirds got on the ball early and began probing down our wings, getting a few teasing balls into the box courtesy of Jazz Richards. However, the Druids defence stayed solid in the opening period and we then began to get on the ball and dominate possession. Our midfield three of Iwan Cartwright, Ethan Cartwright and Alex Darlington were dictating play for us and we were playing some really nice football. It didn’t take long to convert that possession into a finished product. A clever clip down the line by Darlington found Naim Arsan on the right wing who played a low cross into the path of forward Niall Flint. Niall smashed his effort first time into the roof of the net giving us the lead! It was a fluid move down the wing by Druids and finished off clinically. We were playing with plenty of confidence, and everything seemed to be going our way at this point!

Following the goal, we probed for another with a few half chances, including Arsan almost chipping the keeper from halfway. However, Haverfordwest worked their way back into it and it was quite even towards the end of the first half. The Bluebirds almost had an equaliser moments before the break when a ball into our box was headed on by an opposition player and hit the post! But Druids held on and went into halftime 1-0 up, hoping to maintain our lead and build on it in the second 45.

The second half began, and it was the Bluebirds who started the better side. Their halftime team talk clearly worked, as they were playing with plenty of intensity and pressing high for an equaliser. Druids were unable to get the ball down and play our football like we were in the opening 45 minutes. We began to sit deeper and deeper to hold out our opponents and play on the counter. In the 76th minute our opponents got one back. A ball into our box wasn’t cleared and it fell kindly for Haverfordwest forward Danny Williams in the 6 yard box, who quickly turned and fired under Jones to make it 1-1. It was heart breaking for Druids who had defended well up until this point and were hoping to hold out for the 1-0 win.

For the last 15 minutes or so, The Bluebirds increased the pressure in search of a winner. Druids sat back and continued playing on the counterattack as the game opened up, with both sides creating chances. It looked like it would end a draw as the game came to a close, however in the 90th minute, Stef Edwards picked the ball up in midfield and found Charley Edge clean through on goal with a great ball. Charley drove at goal and curled in a beautiful effort from the edge of the box into the top corner winning us the match!

It was a great reward as everyone on the pitch put in a huge effort to stay organised defensively and wait for our opportunity on the counter. The referee blew for full time shortly after for a big win and confidence boost for Druids!

There is now only 2 points between the bottom three sides and a win on Tuesday night at Flint Town will move us above Flint and into fourth in the Play-Off Conference.

We Keep Going!

More than just a football club