Caernarfon Town v Druids Match Report

After a promising first half from Druids, Caernarfon eventually showed their quality in the second and with a sending off to Druid’s defender Liam Buckley, our opponents found the gaps and ran out 3-0 winners.

A great atmosphere under the lights at The Oval last night, with the fans in full voice. The heavens opened just as the match kicked off and the ball was zipping about, making for a quick competitive game. Caernarfon enjoyed the early spells of possession and had a few shots from range as Druids worked their way into it. Ryan Neild was again solid in goal and wasn’t really troubled as of yet.

After 10 minutes or so, Druids began to get on the ball, enjoying a good spell of possession and were creating openings in attack. Joe Faux, Jake Hampson and Niall Flint got shots off from around the area and Emmanuel Agyemang (Aggy) was battling up top for us. We were getting in good areas around our opponent’s box, just unable to deliver that final ball to really test the keeper, but encouraging signs.

The Cofis were still in it however, and created two big chances towards the end of the half which were both saved brilliantly by Ryan Neild to keep us in it. Our opponents were piling on the pressure winning a series of corners, while we tried to stay strong and see the half out. The final play was a Caernarfon corner which landed at Iwan Cartwright at the far post, his low shot was cleared off the line by Faux and we went in all square.

A promising half from Druids who had good spells of possession and were well in the game at that point, just needing some extra quality with our final ball up front.

A change at the break saw centre half Kane Lewis, who had been solid on his Druids debut, come off for Tony Davies due to a hamstring issue. The second half began and it was the home side who began to impose themselves on the match. Druids were unable to get the ball down and build into attack like we did in the first half and Caernarfon were creating good chances but couldn’t apply the finish.

However, the Cofis eventually got their goal on 60 minutes. Darren Thomas found space in midfield, drove at our defence and found the bottom corner. A tough blow for Druids who had been trying to stay solid and find our chance on the counter. We stayed in the game following the goal with plenty of time left, hoping to get one back later on. However, on 75 minutes, Liam Buckley, who had already been booked, was shown a second yellow after what looked like a great challenge on the edge of our box. A harsh decision for Druids who were now down to 10 men. Our opponents scored the resulting freekick making it 2-0 and ultimately putting the game to bed.

The gaps opened up as Druids attempted to stay solid with a man down, but our opponents got one more before the final whistle and it ended 3-0 to the home side.

A frustrating evening for Druids who showed quality in the first half, but just couldn’t keep it going in the second. We were able to build into good areas but the final ball or finish wasn’t there on the night.

We dust ourselves off and have to stick together, as it is only us who can get ourselves out of the position we are in. We looking forward to next Saturday when we welcome Penybont to the Rock.

More than just a football club.